Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pandan Chocolate Potato Swiss Roll

This is my second time to have pandan swiss roll, only with different filling and this time is not steamed but baked instead, also this used different ingredients


There's a story behind this swiss roll, but let me write the recipe first....

What you need:
(recipe adapted from Ricke's site)

200g potatoes - wash, steam, peel and mash til smooth
150ml coconut milk (I mixed 100ml kara coconut milk with 50ml water)
2 pandan leaves, tie a knot
6 egg yolks
3 egg whites
150g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanillin powder
1 tsp pandan paste
50g plain flour - sift
50g margarine - melt and let cool

Prepare 2 greased and laid with parchment paper square pans - I used 22x22cm
Preheat oven to 200degC
Heat coconut milk and pandan leaves on medium fire til a little oily, off heat and let cool
Beat eggs, sugar and salt til thick and creamy, doubled in volume
Add in vanillin and pandan paste, mix well in low speed
Pour eggs mixture bit by bit into the mashed potatoes and beat with mixer in low speed til well incorporated
Add in plain flour, mix briefly
Add in coconut milk, mix
Add in a little of the batter to the melted margarine and mix well, pour back to the remaining batter, fold in gently til well mixed
Divide the batter into 2 and pour each to the prepared pans and bake for approximately 10minutes

Now, this is the story....

Actually my initial plan was not swiss roll
I was really craving for something with pandan, but not cake - so I decided to try one kind of Indonesian delicacy called "bingka" in pandan flavour - it's a sweet sticky pie like traditional Indonesian snack

The recipe used quite a number of eggs and little flour - very similar to swiss roll recipe (of course minus the potatoes hehe...)
The instruction was to beat the eggs, salt and sugar only til frothy and the sugar diluted
This is where I made the mistake - I overbeat the eggs mixture til almost doubled in volume!
I must have been dreaming to the 7th heaven - cos I was there in front of the mixer staring at it - blank stare :)

I ended up having 2 pans of cake instead, surprisingly the texture is really soft with a very slight chewiness - tastewise, it's delicious!
I scratched my head - wat to do, wat to do....hhhmmmm, should I just eat as it is? But I really feel like doing something about this cake...and then I was thinking, why don't I just roll it up?
Haha...this month's AB event makes me want to roll up whatever thing in front of me hihihihi....

So I transferred the cake on a parchment paper, spread the top with chocolate icing, put a long slice of the chocolate cheese black glutinuous rice swiss roll I made the day before...fortunately there's still a few slices left (put them to sacrifice - messed up its nice and round shape keke...) and rolled it up, spread a little butter on top and sprinkle grated cheddar cheese - voila! :)

Even though I didn't manage to eat the bingka pandan I craved for, I was made happy with something else which is nice in the end :)
And from my mistake, I now know that a nice swiss roll can be made of potato too *grin*

I & my hubby did eat some of the cake before it's rolled, I ended up rolling them up half of the original size, hence the lack of swirls hehe....
The recipe above is to make the swiss roll cake
To make bingka, the ingredients are the same, the only difference is only to beat the eggs and sugar+salt only til the sugar is diluted, or to play safe, use balloon whisk instead
I'll make the real bingka - will post the (same) recipe again :)

I'm submitting this unplanned swiss roll to Aspiring Bakers #9 Swiss Roling Good Times hosted by Lynn from Obsessedly Involved With Food at this LINK

4 comments:

  1. great that you were still able to make roll the cake and turn them into swiss rolls! Now your swiss roll is really special with potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pandan chocolate potato Swiss roll has an interesting combination.

    From your story, I can't wait to see pictures of your "real" bingka in your subsequent post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious accidental yummy! You are really smart too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi lena, thks! yes, this is really a special roll cake :)

    hi Zoe, yes, its someth new to me too :)
    i'l make the real bingka definitely but not so soon - waiting for my pandan craving to come again hihihi...

    hi Janine, thks hihihi... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...