Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

THB #6 Mocha-Cappuccino Marbled Coffee Cake - Another Birthday Cake For Ian

I baked this sixth cake for THB for Ian's birthday cake to be brought to his school to celebrate with his classmates

Among many car toys he loves, he adores Tomica the most
And the edible image on the cake below is his request :)

 

I was so tempted to add a little kahlua in the cake, but many kids would eat this cake, so no, not this time, but I am sure it would taste nice!
I baked some in cupcakes for our own consumption

 

From the book Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas
Very straight forward cake to make, I love the coffee taste and aroma
Soft texture, light, not dry and yummy taste everybody in the house loves :)
I almost forgot that chocolate and coffee work well together, too - the color and the taste, too
I wasn't sure why I didn't get the marble effect, I did swirl the batter with skewer, perhaps I didn't do it correctly :)

I followed the recipe to the dot except that I reduced the sugar to 190g and I divided equally half each for chocolate and coffee batter
Used melted dark chocolate (50%) and added the coffee mixture to 2 1/2 tbsp for both the powder and water

For full recipe, please visit Lena's site, she chose this delicious tea time perfect companion :)
Please view HERE to check out other members' creations of this cake

16 comments:

  1. Wow ... so beautiful cake. I also didnt get the swirls / marble effect even though I have swirl the batter with a knife! Never mind about the swirls as long as the cake is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Chris, thanks :) yeah really nice cake :)

      Delete
  2. so nice where you print the edible photo? u print on ur own? If I wan to make a spider man cake, any idea for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Angeline, i think either by edible image or by using cake topper will make a great cake
      i ordered the edible image at this link:
      https://www.facebook.com/alice.prasetyo/allactivity#!/ReeneysBakingSupplies
      the lady name is Irene
      i've been ordering edible image from her for the past few years
      you may give her your choice of pic (high resolution) and she'll edit and transfer the image to the edible sheet

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I try to scratch from my own first...I shall keep the link. BTW how you measure the recipe with the cake size you wanted?

      Delete
  3. Hi Alice, Your son's birthday cake is fantastic! The cupcake looks so moist and delicious! Yes, this cake is a winner, for the swirls, I did 3 or 4 swirls with a knife and another last swirl with a zig-zag motion! But then the swirl is not important, as long as the cake is yummy! I did thought of adding Kahlua too, just like you, but in my case, I have forgotten to take out the bottle of Kahlua!!! Great bake, Alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, thanks :)
      yeah kahlua and coffee are great :)
      oh perhaps i didnt swirl enough, ok thks for the tips next time i shall try :)

      Delete
  4. Alice, i like the cup cake, it looks so moist and it has 2 layers in colour. Oh my! The birthday cake looks so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Yan, thanks :) actually the cake is only simple design ley :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Alice, wow 6 birthday cakes! You must have been busy. Your son is such a blessed boy. Your coffee cake looks moist and delicious. I am sure the kids would have enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mich, oh no what I meant was this is the 6th cake for THB :)
      for my boy i only baked 2 cakes :)
      thanks!

      Delete
  6. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesJuly 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM

    Hi Alice, I've not baked mine yet for THB. Looks like this is another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Eileen, awaiting for yours
      this is another keeper :)

      Delete
  7. wow, an edible image cake!! no idea how to do that!! but this looks impressive!! is this just normal buttercream that you used or some other method cos it looks so smooth! you've baked this to perfection, the crumbs looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lena, thanks :)
      I ordered the edible image so I just pasted it on the cake :)
      the buttercream is made with meringue, I got the recipe written in the previous posting (the fire truck cake)
      very good buttercream, can last in room temperature for hours, but i founf it too bland, need to add a little more sugar :)

      Delete
  8. Hi ALice,
    What a cool cake and I love your icing!!! I was wondering what icing that was as it looks smoother and moister (if that is a word ;-) ) than buttercream but it holds it shape. You have answered my qu in your reply to Lena :-)
    I have yet to try making the meringue method as I've heard horror stories of it just turning to slop but I have to give it a go someday soon.
    Great idea about adding Kahlua, I might give this a try as I have yet to bake the cake.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...