Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Indonesian Style Chicken Garang Asam & Bloggers Gathering

To share what I cooked using belimbing fruits from Alan
The first dish is garang asam - Indonesian style
We cook garang asam using chicken, instead of fish - it's spicy, sour, fragrant and so addictive that can make one eat bowls of rice :)
 
 
Having said that, I can't deny that peranakan fish garang asam is really delicious, too
After eating Alan's at the gathering, I feel like cooking that, too - soon :)

Speaking about gathering, I just had my very first bloggers gathering last Sunday
I prepared pandan steamed brownies and chocolate pudding to share with them
Such a fun time we had, what a feast we had, too! :)
I wonder why I didn't take a single snap while I was there, but luckily Wendy took many pictures and did a nice collage for each sweet and savoury goodies we enjoyed
Thanks Wendy :)

The savoury
 
 The sweet
 
Big thank you for Edith for being a great wonderful host :)
Oh and thanks to Alan too, shared some belimbing with me and gave out cute adorable containers :)
So glad I could meet face to face with many bloggers whom most of the blogs I visit frequently, and learn so much, too
Really looking forward to the next one :)
 
Now, the recipe for my chicken garang asam...
The recipe is from my mum

What you need:

1 free range chicken, cut
7 chicken liver / gizard, boil til soft (I used only chicken liver, I don't really fancy gizard)
5 bay leaves (daun salam)
1 tsp fried belachan (shrimp paste)
8 candlenuts, chopped
10 belimbing fruits, cut
1 large tomato, cut
300ml coconut milk (100ml coconut cream + 200ml water)
2 large red chillis - cut thick
3 large green chillis - cut thick
salt, sugar
banana leaves for the base
  1. Preheat steamer
  2. Blend together fried belachan and candlenuts til smooth
  3. Lay cleaned banana leaf in a heatproof bowl and arrange all ingredients on it : chicken, liver, bay leaves, blended belachan and candlenuts, belimbing fruits, tomato, red and green chillis, coconut milk, salt, sugar
  4. Mix all ingredients til well incorporated
  5. Steam over medium heat for 30 minutes

Note: Don't forget to cook more rice! :)

 
 
I still have some belimbing fruits, will cook my second dish soon before it turns soft :)
 

11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Indeed I would have 2 bowls of rice with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Mich :)
      you're right, this makes u eat lots of rice :)

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious, Alice! This is similar to our masak lemak putih! I think that it would go well with sambal belacan, extra pedas! I love belimbing fruits, not easy to find them, luckily I have the tree at my backyard! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, thks :)
      yes yes, extra pedas and sour too, yum!
      oh so lucky u have belimbing tree!

      Delete
  3. Mum's recipe is always good and your Indonesian style chicken looks delicious! Your first bloggers meeting sounds interesting...talking about this, I've sent you an email a while ago. Have you receive it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Zoe, i never receive ur email! gosh, i hope its not in spam, let me check and reply u once i find it okie...
      thks :)

      Delete
  4. It was really nice meeting you at the gathering Alice! Your chicken garang asam looks yummy! Btw, I missed your chocolate pudding. It was really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Jane :) nice meeting u too :) haha.. chocolate pudding so easy to love, isnt it? its my family fave too :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really good. I think I will love this. I have a weakness for anything with santan especially if they look white, yes, instead of red or orange, kekekeke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just saw joyce making a belimbing dish few days ago and now seeing yours, really interested to get some belimbings to cook. i believe your belimbing dish must be so appetising! looking at the big spread of food there, i'm sure all of you bloggers have gained an extra kilo or two!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...