Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sarawak Kek Lapis Chocolate Horlicks

I have planned to make this cake for this month's Malaysian Food Fest
But due to many commitment with other events, fulfilled my kids'requests, busy running errands, and lastly, my boy fell sick, he still is now, but more stabilized - I couldn't make time at all and finally today I made this, at the very last day before deadline... ooppss!! :)

This cake is so soft, smooth and moist - too buttery for my liking, due to so much butter used, but I guess it helped in getting the best texture of this cake. Right amount of sweetness to me. Not too intense chocolate flavour, but it's alright to balance with the horlick layers. Delicious steamed cake loved by my whole family
Forget about diet for a day won't do me any harm, I guess, unless if it's being said in daily basis LOL





Recipe source is from HERE

What you need:

250g butter (I used unsalted butter with 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup icing sugar
5 large eggs
200g sweetened condensed milk
70g horlicks
30g cocoa powder
1 sdt vanilla essence
1/2 cup hongkong flour
  1. Heat up steamer over medium heat, wrap the cover with clean cloth
  2. Grease 20cm round pand and line with baking paper
  3. Beat butter and sugar til creamy
  4. In low speed, add in eggs one at a time, add in vanilla essence and mix well
  5. Gradually, add in sweet condensed milk  alternating with hongkong flour til well mixed
  6. Divide the batter into 2 parts, one part mix with horlicks, the other part mix with cocoa powder (use spatula)
  7. Spread a layer at a time in the pan (I scooped 5 heaped tablespoons for each layer), and steam each layer for 6 minutes
  8. After spreading the last layer, steam for further 30 minutes

I was out of sweetened condensed milk - realized that at the very last minute
I googled and made homemade version from HERE

What you need:
(makes 300g)

1 cup full cream milk powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
3 tbsp melted butter
a pinch of salt
  1. Blend everything til smooth and keep in the fridge

I'm submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Sarawak Month ) hosted by Sharon of featsoffeasts

10 comments:

  1. It's okay to pamper yourself once in a while with something rich, decadent and delicious like this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alice, your kek lapis got 8 layers, compared to mine, only 6. Very nice..Maybe this recipe is to my liking.

    BTW, we submit to the same event and furthermore, our kek lapis look alike.

    Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The layers are so well done! And you even managed to make your own condensed milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job, alice! i like looking at kek lapis! yeah, we have so many datelines to meet ..LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice, I really want to try this one day. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Perfectly done kek lapis! Great job Alice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love steam cakes, they are very moist, and i know i will love this one. Just one question alice, what is hong kong flour? Me very noob baker la, dunno anything beyond the usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! I've never tried steamed lapis before! hehe.. But this looks really delicious! I actually just had some lapis from Holland Bakery! (courtesy of my cousin lol) looks great Alice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alice,
    Your lapis cake is so well done with 8 pretty layers.
    You are brilliant to make your own condensed milk. Thanks for the condensed milk tips!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe. Going to try it out soon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...