Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Steamed Buns with Pork & Salted Egg Filling

Another recipe I tried using straight dough method
The result was similar to my first baos, soft but didn't stay soft the next day and it had chewy texture. And somehow I couldn't get smooth looking skin this time, not sure why
I used pork and salted egg filling. It's yummy but I found the pork is a little too dry





Recipe for pork filling:

What you need:

300g pork loin, pounded with meat tenderizer and then slice thinly
7 cloves of garlic, minced
vegetable oil, water, dark sweet soya sauce, salt, pepper

Method:
Heat oil in a pan, sautee minced garlic til fragrant
Add in pork, and stir fry til cooked
Add in water, dark sweet soya sauce, simmer over low heat til the meat is soft (I simmered for an hour til the water only a little bit left)
Adjust the taste with salt and pepper, mix well

Note:
I reckon that I should have added some thickening sauce into the pork mixture to get a more moist filling

Additional for filling: salted egg yolk, cut each egg into 8

Recipe for bao skin is from Vivian Pang Kitchen

What you need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup low protein flour

(I used 3 cups Hong Kong flour)

2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
190 ml water

1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tbsp water



Method:

  1. I used bread maker to knead the dough
  2. Pour water followed by Hong Kong flour, sugar and yeast into the bread maker pan
  3. Let it knead for 30 minutes
  4. Take the dough out of the pan and let it proof in slightly oiled bowl til doubled in size about 1 hour
  5. Punch the dough on lightly floured surface and knead for awhile to release air bubbles
  6. Mix double acting baking powder with water and stir til bubbles
  7. Flatten the dough and pour baking powder mixture on it, knead for awhile
  8. Divide dough, each 40g (I got 11 pieces)
  9. Flatten each dough and spoon pork filling and place 1/8 piece of salted egg at the centre
  10. Shape oval (I did seal down, my mum did seal up LOL), place on square banana leaves
  11. Leave to proof for another half an hour
  12. Place in a steamer (make sure the water is already boiling) and steam for 15 minutes

 
 
 
 
  


 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...