Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

AFF Indonesia - Mi Kocok Medan

I know I know.... this is my third noodle dish for AFF Indonesia :P
Ok ok.... promise the next one won't be noodle dish anymore LOL
But this noodle is too good not to try. Originally from Medan, North Sumatra, this is one famous dish anyone must try whenever visiting the city
"Kocok" is whisk in English. People said the noodle has the name from the way you eat it. You have to "kocok" the noodle, soup and the garnish together :)
There are a few different version for this mi kocok from different parts of Indonesia. But so far, I like the one from Medan the most :)




Recipe is from HERE

What you need:
(modified to my preference)

500g fresh egg noodles, prepare as instructed
100g chicken breast
100g beansprouts, cleaned and blanched
5 eggs, hardboiled

For the soup:
2 tbsp cooking oil
Blend together: 4 cloves of garlic, 6 shallots and 1 tsp chopped old ginger
1 tbsp chopped spring onion
200g prawns, shelled and deveined
1L chicken stock
500ml prawn stock (I boiled a pot of water with prawn shells)
1/2 nutmeg, lightly pounded
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
some corn flour/ tapioca starch, diluted (for thickener)

Garnish:
Lime
Crackers
Fried onion
Chilli paste (sambal belachan)

Method:
  1. Heat cooking oil and sautee the blended ingredients til fragrant. Add in chopped spring onion, stir well. Add in chicken breast. Add in prawns, mix til changed color
  2. Add in both stocks, bring to boil. Add in nutmeg, salt, pepper, sugar and bring back to boil
  3. Scoop out chicken breast from the soup and set aside. Let cool and dice
  4. Add in corn flour mixture, stir til thickened
  5. Arrange cooked noodle, hard boiled egg, diced chicken in a bowl. Pour the soup over, don't forget to include the prawns
  6. Sprinkle fried onion and splash some lime
  7. Eat with crackers and chilli paste

Yum yum....


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: Indonesiahosted by me, Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake       

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...