Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Gluten Free Almond Flour Pizza Crust

This recipe intrigued me, especially since the source is from King Arthur Flour
I by far have never encountered any recipe from this site which failed me, it always ended up with a big hurray :)

So I gave it a try, not because I have problem with gluten, it's more to my curiosity for the texture and taste.
Easy to make, no kneading, proofing and waiting whatsoever. I used tomato sauce base and sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese. Topped up with sliced cherry tomatoes and Japanese cucumber, and lastly sprinkled with shredded mozzarella cheese. After baking, here it is - warm and crisp :)




What you need:

216g almond flour
14g coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried Italian herbs (optional - I skipped)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 large eggs
25g olive oil

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 175degC
  2. Whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, herbs, salt and pepper, set aside
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and oil til frothy
  4. Mix in eggs mixture into the flour mixture, mix til shaped like a dough
  5. Shape into ball and transfer onto a lined with parchment paper work surface. Top with another parchment paper and roll til about 1/4" thick
  6. Remove the parchment paper on the top and slide the flattened dough with the parchment paper at the bottom into a baking sheet
  7. Bake the crust for about 15-20mins until the edges turned crisp and the surface started to get browned all over. Remove from oven (at this stage, you may freeze the dough for later consumption)
  8. Top with your preferred toppings (this time I used tomato based pasta sauce, grated parmesan cheese, sliced Japanese cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes and shredded mozzarella cheese - in that order), and return it to the oven. Bake for another 12-15mins, til cheese melted and the edges are golden brown. If you like browned cheese, broil the pizza for 1-2mins after baking
  9. Remove the pizza from the oven and serve



I like the combination of the crispy crust, the crunch from the cucumber, the juiciness from the tomatoes and the sauce, and both cheeses completed the taste. Yummy! Come, have a bite! :)

 
 
Honest opinion..
Taste wise, this cannot be compared with the usual normal yeasted bread pizza crust, it's just different. It definitely doesn't have the bread like texture, it's rather grainy, but it goes very well with the topping. I did eat a little bit of the crust without any topping, it's nice when warm and crispy
It's crisp when eaten right after baking, but gets soft and crumbly pretty fast, so my advice is, eat immediately after baking! :)

Will I bake this again? I don't think so, mainly because I was the only one in the family eating it, DH and the kids couldn't really accept it
But it's a good experience I will not regret, and one thing for sure, this is a must try for those having problem with gluten. One of the best alternatives, I must say :)


 
 
This post is for Best Recipes
Recipe links HERE



3 comments:

  1. Oh my, the crust looks fantastic. Must be very aromatic too. Good Job dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum!Looks tempting,don;t worry, if u'll making next time,just call me,i will finish all for u.. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...