Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

Bake Along #79 My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake (Nigella Lawson)

Like others, I'm also curious about the story behind the name of this cake
I found out that this cake's recipe is from Nigella Lawson's mother in law
It's typically an English tea cake served with Portuguese wine called Madeira, very popular during the early days

Easy to make, it's a typical fool proof butter cake. Well actually it's lighter than butter cake. It's like a cross between butter and sponge cake. Very nice with a lemony taste in every bite. I like it with a cup of hot tea. I wish I could try it with madeira wine :)


 

Recipe is from HERE

What you need:
(below is half recipe)

120g butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
zest of 1 small lemon
2 medium eggs
30ml juice of lemon
105g self raising flour
45g plain flour
more caster sugar for sprinkling (I didn't use)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170degC. Grease and line 1 standard size loaf pan
  2. Cream butter and sugar til light. Add in lemon zest and beat for awhile
  3. Add in egg one at a time followed by both flour alternating with lemon juice til well mixed
  4. Pour batter in the pan, sprinkle caster ugar if using, and bake for 45mins 
  5. Remove from oven when skewer test comes out clean, remove from pan and let cool in the cooling rack

 
 


2 comments:

  1. good evening alice! that's a beautiful loaf you made....i wonder how it feels eating a slice of madeira cake with madeira wine in madeira...:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    Yes, I wish I could try this cake with Madeira wine too! :)
    Glad that you have enjoyed this cake!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...